2011年11月13日星期日

The Apron

Recently, while enjoying my favorite pastime, which happens to be shopping, my eyes fixed upon some colorful, seasonally designed aprons in the kitchen department of my favorite store. They were so uniquely attractive — however, I must admit, I’ve never worn an apron in my life. But only because I was entering my "annual cooking spirit" did I consider purchasing one. Some were designed for the season; others were decked out for holidays, and many frilly ones, much too nice to be worn simply while cooking, were obviously designed for entertaining guests or possibly to match a certain kitchen décor. So many choices!

Looking at the fashionable styles, I thought about the aprons my grandmother wore on almost every day of the year.

"Does our younger generation even know what purpose aprons serve or why they came to be?" I asked myself.

The principal use of my Grandma’s apron was to protect her dress. Having a bib and wide shoulder straps, it was considered very practical, being much easier to wash and iron than a dress. Additionally, aprons required less fabric and were frequently made from remnants or feed sacks. However, her apron also served other needs, such as a potholder for removing hot dishes from the oven and wiping perspiration from her brow as she cooked in the heat of the day. Kindling for her wood stove was also brought into the house in that apron, and it made an ideal hiding place for shy kids, like myself. Her apron was handy for carrying eggs from the chicken coop and was always available in chilly weather, should she need a wrap for her arms or a temporary baby blanket. It was perfect for carrying freshly harvested vegetables from the garden, and after the lima beans had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. When unexpected company was spotted coming down the drive, it was amazing how much furniture could be dusted in a matter of seconds with that apron.

Yes, Grandma’s apron served many purposes, but one I remember best was how it was used to wipe the tears from her grandchildren’s eyes or to hide a piece of candy in the pocket as a reward for a really good boy or girl. Who cared if it was a bit soiled from the day’s chores? Who noticed that it was worn and faded? Germs? What germs?

Over the years, aprons have changed, but they’re still around. Even men are wearing them. Of course, men’s aprons are masculine looking, giving an air of professionalism whether worn in the kitchen or on the deck. Masculine or feminine, aprons of today have become a fashion statement. Being the "trendy" grandmother that I am, I just may need to purchase a frilly one, or one personalized with my name or a quote, but mainly one to serve as a reminder of how they were once used by my grandmother, as a tool for, long before we even understood the now "in" term, multi-tasking.

没有评论:

发表评论