2011年7月13日星期三

Food and Beverage Hike Feels Criticism

Local restaurant owners pleaded with City Council Members during Tuesday night's hearing. Stating they currently only net 4 percent of their businesses profits due  to already high taxes and fees. Making it difficult to keep prices competitive for consumers.

 "It's my responsibility to pay the tax based on revenue, it's not a sales tax, it's a tax on my business, now I can either absorb that and pay it or I can pass it on to my guest that come in." Said Chicken Coop Owner Dean Pegg

It's also a tax that Kearney residents don't want to see at the bottom of their bill every time they go out to eat.

"The prices continue to rise, they come out of my pocket. It's getting very hard for the
average family in this community to make budget ends meat." Said Kearney Resident Bonnie Taylor.

Aside from putting a dent in the wallets of local customers. Restaurant owners feel the burden of this tax would be shouldered by employees who rely on tips to make a living.

"I've got servers that are single mothers trying to make ends meet, I have servers that are
going to community college, trying to better themselves and that tax is paid by them." Said Pegg.

Although the one point three million dollars raised by the tax could help the city with several community betterment projects, restaurant owners feel that this is something they couldn't handle.

"We're struggling as a restaurant to make it." Said Pizza Hut Delivery Manager John Overmiller.

没有评论:

发表评论